Monday, February 11, 2008

Best News Ever!!!

Don't know if you've been to the Como Zoo lately, but if you have it's quite the depressing adventure. Sure it's practically free, and you can get really close to the animals, but there's a reason for that. The animals have VERY SMALL habitats, which in turn have driven most of them insane and stir crazy.

I went to the Como Zoo back in late October and one of the exhibits that made me the most depressed was the Polar Bear exhibit. The area in which the Polar Bears, "Buzz" and "Neil", currently live in obviously has made them crazy. You can tell this as they keep pacing to the point of repeating the same actions over and over and over again. It truly is quite the depressing adventure!

Well, there's some good news to this tale. I was extremely happy today when I read a Star Tribune article that tells of the Polar Bear exhibit getting an overhaul and will end up being 4 times the size it currently is. Good news indeed! Perhaps not perfect, but a dramatic improvement. In the interm it looks like Buzz and Neil will hang out at the Detroit Zoo for a while, until it's ready in 2010. Finally a piece of news that isn't depressing.

You can check out the Star Tribune article by clicking here.

2 comments:

Corey said...

That is good news. I was happy to see the MN zoo do some updates, and I thought that the Como Zoo would never be able to get the funding, but I was wrong. Supper fantastic!

Captain Random said...

Indeed. I think what really helped is that they started taking "suggested donations" as you walk in the door, which has helped raise a lot of money.

Also, the public outcry of how small their cages are finally did something too ... I think.