Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Independent ... skip it, trust me



Went with some co-workers to The Independent bar in Uptown area last night. Was supposed to be a fun evening with some friends outside of work, however what we got was a whole lotta loud music, neon lights and missed conversations. We arrived and were seated right next to Mix Masta Mike (or whatever his name was) the DJ. We got in on a pretty good happy hour for drinks 2 for 1's. However, the whole night we were having conversations like, "WHAT?!?...WHAT?!?!....OKAY SURE, I THINK?!"

Ever find when you are in this situation at a bar or party and the music is really loud everyone is happy, right? And you are trying to have a conversation that you have absouletly NO IDEA what the other person is saying. But you keep nodding your head and then start to laugh and say, "Yeah I know! Totally!" Then once in a while you mix it up with a concerned look and say "Umm hmmm...okay sure" to appear that you are paying attention. Well 9 times out of 10 this tactic works, but once in a while you'll get something like "Well, my Grandpa died..." and since you can't hear you respond with a "Totally, that's great!!" as you smile and nod. So I guess it doesn't work for all situations. But luckily it worked for last night. Smile and nod my brutha...smile and nod.

And the weirdest thing of ALL about The Independent ... this place had a UNISEX bathroom. I get to the bathroom and I see a sign for Man/Woman on the same door. I look around, nope yeah it's just one bathroom...the sign is right. So I walk in and I see guys and girls standing in the bathroom. Man, I can't describe how WEIRD that was. I mean you are trained your whole life that the Men's Bathroom is one place women can't come into. Right?!? Anyways, used the stall and I walk out and there are 3 girls standing by the sink. I yell out, "YOU CAN'T BE IN HERE!!" Seems like a lame joke (it was), but they laughed. So I felt witty.

Anyways long story short (too late), The Independent - here's the review:
The Good: Nice looking girls (for the single guys like myself) and good drink specials.
The Bad: Too loud to talk to anyone, and a weird Unisex bathroom

Enter at your own risk...

No comments: