Sunday, May 07, 2006

Secret Agent Man

Explosions. Kidnappings. Attractive Women. According to the standard model of action movies, Mission: Impossible III has everything necessary to keep us guys entertained (and women too).

In M:I 3 we join Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) once again for more super-secret shenanigans that seem ‘impossible’ to accomplish (hey, it’s in the title what do you expect). However, we add another element to the ‘spy’ equation … his wife (Michelle Monaghan). Ethan Hunt struggles in this movie to keep his spy life and home life separate, but as all spy/action movies have taught us … you just can’t do that. So, enter into the equation one super rich and all powerful weapons dealer and villain extraordinaire Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman). Throw in a little wife kidnapping. Plus, a chemical bomb that could kill us all. Then, top it all off with some torture and lots of beautiful women. And you’ve got yourself the makings of Mission: Impossible III.

To be honest, I had a great time watching this movie. From the moment the movie starts you are already involved in the action and suspense. Although, the crowning jewel in the movie is not the action nor Tom Cruise, but the performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman. He truly delivers a very believable evil performance that will have you shouting during the movie, “Heeeeyyyy….that guy’s evil!!” I did, and well I got shushed, but hey he was really evil! If anything, I wish that Hoffman’s character could have recieved more screen time to be developed. But alas there impossible missions to be had and beautiful women to save.

So, if you looking for a good action movie that offers suspense and some good all-around dumb fun, then Mission: Impossible III is yours to accept.

I give this movie 3 out of 4 stars.

Incidentally, this review will NOT self-destruct in 5 seconds.

2 comments:

Guacaholic said...

I just can't see it. All I'll see when I watch Tom Cruise is how creepy he is, how spaced-out Katie Holmes is now, and that he talked about eating the placenta. Ga-ross.

Captain Random said...

Dude!!! Yeah the whole "eating" thing is pretty gross!! I don't know ... when I watch movies I can seperate the character from the "freak" in real life. Not everyone can.