Sunday, September 24, 2006

Renaissance Festival

Well this past Saturday the crew and I headed down to a magical land filled with knights, food, and weirdoes known as The Renaissance Festival. I usually try to go every year. Minnesota has one of the biggest Renaissance Festivals in the nation, and if you’ve never been, well, then you are truly missing out … medieval style.

The highlights of the day (for me) always include a number of set things:

First up, the food. Some people say the MN State Fair has the best food, but I say NAY! You have your staples, for food, when you go to the Ren Fest. The first up being ‘Soup in a Bread Bowl’. I highly recommend the Wild Rice Soup. It’s a great way to start off the day, and really warms you up. They used to have a kickin’ Beer Cheese Soup, but they don’t use beer anymore in the soup, and that’s bad. Once, you’ve enjoy that the next tasty concoction one must partake in is: Apple Dumplings w/ Cinnamon Ice Cream. Oh yeah! I don’t really need to explain that one. Just damn tasty! And then lastly for all you beer lovers out there, you can wash it all down with an ice cold glass of Premium Beer. Or, for the non-beer lovers, a King or Queen’s cup of Pop (yes, it’s called ‘pop’ not ‘soda’ I don’t’ care what the signs said.) There’s lots of other delicious tasty treats present, but those are my favorites.

The Second thing I always enjoy when going to the Ren Fest are the weirdoes … err … I mean people in costumes. This is the one fair that a select number of individuals wait ALL YEAR for where they can dress up as whatever they want (outside their home) and it becomes totally acceptable. In fact, it’s encouraged! And people are also rewarded for hassling others. What happens when you dress up a bunch of weirdoes that have been hiding all year waiting for this one shining moment, and then mix them with a bunch of passive aggressive Minnesotans? Well … I can only describe it as entertainment. Oh yes … entertainment! What’s even funnier still, is when people dress up for the fair it’s not just restricted to Medieval attire. In fact, this year I caught an eyeful of a guy dressed as a clown. All I can say is quite frightening! Anyone who says otherwise, I tell you to go watch the movie IT. Yikes!

Lastly, the final highlight of the day is Jousting! Nothing better than seeing two knights trying to kill each other. I don’t know how to best describe it; it’s just … cool.

All in all, another successful Ren Fest completed. A great day was had by all! And then the crew and I ended the day with a BBQ in Mikey B’s Garage. Rednecks everywhere would have been proud! The only thing we were missing was NASCAR. Good times. Good times.

God save the King!

P.S. - Here are the pics. Most of which didn't turn out.

No comments: