Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V-Day Sucks!

I am of course referring to Valentine’s Day. Not the V-Day signifying “Victory Day” in celebration of the Allies over the Nazis in WWII.

Not to sound too negative here, but V-Day is way too overrated. It’s the one day where couples everywhere (especially guys) feel pressure to go out of their way and express their love for their significant other. Why should this one-day be different than any other? If you love your significant other they already know it, right? Well, I don’t know, but V-Day always seems to be an unnecessarily stressful day for most.

Every year I see a flood of people (mostly guys) running to and fro (yes I just typed ‘to and fro’) stores, skyways (downtown MPLS) and street vendors with armfuls of last minute gift ideas such as: flowers, red hearts (containing chocolates), and other random gifts. And these people always seem stressed out over-thinking the situation.

Yes, true I’m currently single. But that isn’t coloring my somewhat negative judgment here. Last year at this time I wasn’t single. I was seeing this girl and I started to stress out about what I should do for V-Day, just like everyone else. I asked myself, “Should I get her something? Do I need to plan something extravagant? What if I don’t? What’ll happen then?” Well, we talked it out and enjoyed a quiet, low-key dinner for two. Turned out to be a great evening. But I almost fell into the ‘V-Day’ trap!

All I’m saying is this V-Day don’t stress out and fall into the Greeting Card companies' trap. If you love someone, tell them yourself. That’s what it’s all about. Don’t feel you need a cheap cardboard red heart containing candies to do the job. Just my 2 cents.

Happy V-Day everyone.

4 comments:

MikeyB said...

wooooo...lets bring it back to this quote cowboy. "Last year at this time I wasn’t single. I was seeing this girl"

I was not aware of this. Do tell.

MikeyB said...

BTW in Japan & Korea the ladies give the men flowers, candy and all that V-day stuff.

Captain Random said...

Well good for Japan and Korea. They also give V (peace symbols) in pictures too. FYI.

Aimee said...

as a lady, i think valentine's is over rated as well... I don't want Mike to waste money on flowers and I certainly don't need any gifts.
A card is fine, even using the one you got me years ago is ok.
BTW: Mike got me a nice card and a bag of my favorite skittles.