Sunday, November 11, 2007

Como Zoo ... a depressing adventure!

Took a trip to the Como Zoo last weekend, and I had a good time however it was quite a sad experience. No I’m not schizophrenic, I’ll explain. I hadn’t been to the Como “free” Zoo since I was a kid. Probably about 13 or 14. Back then all the animals, and especially their cages and exhibits looked BIG.

Well fast forward 14 years to today and I’m all grown up. The girlfriend and I, being the animal lovers that we are, decided to go to the Como Zoo since we’d been to the Minnesota Zoo about a month ago.

Well, we had a good time at the zoo, but the sad thing is now that I’m grown up I’m able to properly evaluate ‘spatial relationships’ … meaning … the animals cages are WAY TOO SMALL!!

As we walked around I quickly noticed that most of the animals cages were way too small, which lead the animals to succumb to boredom, malnutrition and more commonly … insanity. It was quite sad!

One exhibit in particular made me just about want to cry. It was the Silverback Gorillas. Contained in the indoor exhibit was one male and two females. All just sitting and laying down in an exhibit barely big enough for one gorilla. Bored and confined I watched as one of the females lay against the floor next to the glass and watched me with bored sad eyes. Meanwhile, families of annoying kids tapping the glass and amateur photographers flashing blinding pictures of the caged animal passed by. All I could do was stand there and imagine this animal’s sad pathetic existence. It made me so sad.

I’d go on but the stories were much of the same and well I’m bumming myself out. If you ever get a chance to make a difference tell your friends and family that the animals at the Como Zoo need help and more space!

On a lighter note, since the animals were closer it made for some good pictures. Check ‘em out.










No comments: