Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Filming in LA

A couple of weeks ago, I got to spend some time out in California while filming for my client. Took a couple of extra days to vacation after the shoot for myself. What I discovered is that Los Angeles, CA is a beautiful, weird, diverse, fake, schizophrenic and just all-around very interesting place. I had a great time and here are a few photos and observations I made:

Highlights/Observations:

The Shoot - Well before we play we must work, right? Shoots always sound so much more fun then they really are. Ends up being a long day of constant hurry up and wait. But hey I'm in Cali in the warm sun so what the hell do I have to complain about?!? Here's a couple pics of me, some other people and the set (in that order).


Me, Brian (Art Director), and Jason (Client)




Hollywood Sign - So much smaller than you'd think. But being a lover of film/movies I had to check it out. The first time I saw it I was driving and Gloria (producer) riding in the car with me, pointed the sign out as I was driving through an intersection. I craned my neck and strained my eyes and saw the famous sign for about .02th of a second before Brian (Art Director, and other person riding in the car) yelled at me because I'm still driving and about to hit a guy in the crosswalk. Jerked the wheel; screeched the tires. Crisis ... narrowly averted.




Mann's Chinese Theater/Hollywood Blvd. - Ahh the walk of fame where you can see celebrities' feet and handprints in cement. I found out my feet are bigger than Frank Sinatra's. Here's the proof.





Stormtrooper for Hire


Getty Museum - This building has beautiful architecture, set in the hills of LA, and lots of interesting paintings and sculpture. What you won't read in any brochure, before you get there, is this world famous museum has an army of bored security guards poised and ready to yell at any unexpecting tourist using flash photography.


Santa Monica Pier - Tourist Trap and Bum Central set to a picturesque Pacific Ocean view.




Promenade/3rd St. (Santa Monica, CA) - If you like to shop and be fake, see crazy bums, or just general people watch this is your place to do it. It's like shopping in a mall, but it's outside. You can't get this anywhere in the world ... oh wait ... nevermind.


Beverly Hills/Rodeo Dr. - If you have a couple of billion dollars to spend and own a sports car with a name no human can pronounce well my friend then this is your little place of heaven. Even the bums here have standards.

Fake People - It was just laughable how everywhere you went how fake people are in LA. Not everyone mind you, but enough people for it to be noticably annoying. You'd see guys that spend about 27.3 hrs a day in a gym just out on the street walking their dogs with their shirt's off, hair all styled, sun glasses on and waiting to be "discovered." And the women (while fake) were absolutely beautiful, mostly stuck up and won't give you the time of day (unless you say your a director), strutting their stuff for all to see at the clubs along Sunset Strip. It was an interesting experience to people watch, but if I had to deal with this everyday I'm pretty sure I'd go insane and take a hostage.

Well those were a few highlights. To sum up I found the LA area to be a sunny, pictureque place with fake people and good times to be had. Thanks LA ... just like that crazy guy on the bus, I'm sure we'll meet again someday.

3 comments:

pete said...

Nice public outing of the security guard. Looked like fun!

Captain Random said...

It was a fun trip! Thanks!

And yes, due to the meaness of the security guard he needed to be outed. Watch for that man!! He's a jackass.

Guacaholic said...

Nice pics! I have a friend from the north shore who lived in LA for a number of years. It always surprised me how much she liked it, given that she grew up in such a down to earth place.