Friday, October 27, 2006

Take the Bus

This morning I easily had the worst commute of my life on my drive into work, and in hopes that typing it out and venting will calm me down, I’m sharing it with all of you. Enjoy!

The goal: A drive from Linden Hills/Lake Harriet to Downtown MPLS (Washington Ave. S & 10th St.) – A 20 min drive

The reality: A frustrating 45 min drive with more twists and turns than a M. Night Shyamalan film

So the drive into work starts out with getting to my car only to realize all the windows are frosted over. The first sign of what us Minnesotans get to look forward to for the next 5-6 months. A minor annoyance, but I get out the trusty old ice scraper and go to town.

Finally, ready to go and just as I’m about to pull out of my parking lot a S-L-O-W Bus first drives by, I pull out, and now I’m stuck behind a really slow Metro Transit Bus. Tick-Tock, buddy! Some of us have to get to work. Oh well, I quickly turn on KQ92 and listen to the Morning Show and after a couple of miles he pulls over to pick people up so I zoom past him.

Later on, I’m driving on Hennepin Ave. when out of NOWHERE a parked car on the side of the road pulls RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF ME!!! I’m talking imminent doom is going to happen here folks, it was that close!! And all I think about is a little voice inside my head saying, “Is this lady serious?” I immediately slam on the brakes (with both feet) and lay on the horn skidding to a stop mere inches from her driver-side door. She gives me a look like she immediately pulled a dumb move and should have had an extra cup of coffee this morning. So now thinking that my life was going to end, but crisis narrowly averted, I’m back on the road and I’m shaking with anger slash shock. (Honestly, had we hit it would not have been good. Somebody call 911 cause we're taking a trip to the hospital!)

So I'm back on my way, and after every stoplight turning red on purpose on Hennepin Ave. I finally make my way into Downtown Minneapolis. Only for my situation to turn worse.

I’m finally downtown, only about a mile or two more to go. When ‘Johnny Impatient’ and his Lexus cuts me off so he can make it to the stoplight 1 second faster than everyone else. (Well Johnny? Was it worth it?) He then proceeds for the next 4-5 city blocks to weave in and out of my lane cutting people off and making them wish they carried guns to work. Well, I finally get around Captain Fantastic and turn right off of Hennepin Ave. onto Washington Ave. Only a half-mile to go!

What I did not realize is that today is the day they started construction on Washington Ave & 10th St. - Right in front of my building! After sitting in my car for 15 mins (not moving) trying to go 1 block. I decided to meander through the back alleys and other streets to get to my Agency parking lot quicker than the speed of backwards. Only to be blocked by a LRT Train and some really slow pedestrians. I should have faked sick and stayed home today.

Take the bus people, you’ll live longer!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Is there a full moon tonight? I had a similar commute to work this morning.

pete said...

Ride a bike, better for you and probably would only take 10 more minutes.

Anonymous said...

Owch. I have TOTALLY had days like that. An express bus is really the way to go.